— Lower third of the blade towards the hilt. Term is Italian, meaning “strong.”
— Blade shoulder segment closest to the hilt, an area which remained unsharpened to allow the wielder to grasp the blade with a finger for added leverage. In larger medieval swords this area could be long enough for an entire hand to grasp the sword’s shaft. Makers’ marks were often inscribed in this area.
— Center third of the blade. “Third” in Italian.
— Ending third of blade at the point. Term means “weak” in Italian.
— A groove or trough in the center of the blade shaft extending from the hilt down through part or the entirety of the blade. The fuller was employed to lighten the blade and also to add strength and resiliency in much the way an H-girder performs. Makers’ marks ofa medieval sword could be found in this area as well as decorative incised designs.
— Also referred to more simply as the “guard” or the “cross.”
— Center of the cross-guard.
— Extended arms of the cross-guard. In a simple, functional cross-guard the quillons might extend straight out from the block. In other designs the quillons might curve towards the hand, or they might curve towards the blade to protect the ricasso (see above) and provide a “blade-trap” for the opponent’s weapon. Sets of quillons could curve in both directions on the same sword. In the basket style hilt several quillonsare “woven” to protect the entire hand.
— Portion of the blade shaft that extends into the hilt under the grip. It is fastenedto the pommel (see below).
— Handle portion of the medieval sword. The tang could be covered with leather, bone, horn, ivory, wound wire, or shagreen (untanned leather embedded with seeds or stones creating a granular suface) for a secure grip.
— The ending piece of the hilt, this component appeared in various shapes or sizes, but it served to counterbalance the weight of the blade, support the hand, and fasten the tang of the blade securely into the hilt.
339 Notes/ Hide
- barsala reblogged this from vivasantiago
- trollception reblogged this from mediumaevum
- akeli likes this
- soursight likes this
- darthrose likes this
- pachurz likes this
- ladyreddarkness likes this
- yuuchuu likes this
- covenmouse reblogged this from suddenly-a-wild-fangirl
- suddenly-a-wild-fangirl reblogged this from mediumaevum
- titlesandtootles reblogged this from orangezest100
- colo12spinner reblogged this from colo12spinner
- tragic-hero reblogged this from mediumaevum
- ofart reblogged this from mediumaevum
- bijougothette likes this
- aisling-r reblogged this from mediumaevum
- perfectlymental reblogged this from slightlypsychicparade
- radioarsenic likes this
- breakthebricks reblogged this from newbornnebulae
- breakthebricks likes this
- newbornnebulae reblogged this from devinhoo
- devinhoo reblogged this from theroyalparksoflondon
- theroyalparksoflondon reblogged this from catafractus
- theroyalparksoflondon likes this
- catafractus reblogged this from mediumaevum
- georg-prime likes this
- ehndiarsserci likes this
- laddershield reblogged this from bookkbaby
- bookkbaby reblogged this from sanctuaryforascrivener
- consultingfangurl reblogged this from mediumaevum
- royalslasher likes this
- lafuguedantoine likes this
- sigaosomdasuavoz reblogged this from mediumaevum
- tofslan likes this
- bibliomancer7 reblogged this from mediumaevum
- johnbonhamburger reblogged this from mediumaevum
- spooky-morrigan reblogged this from mediumaevum
- eunuchboy reblogged this from mediumaevum
- icecheetah reblogged this from go-put-on-a-red-shirt
- footstepsofahero reblogged this from ladyhippy8
- go-put-on-a-red-shirt reblogged this from extoria
- extoria reblogged this from living-history
- thoughtfulearthling reblogged this from mediumaevum
- childofthefoxes likes this
- whatthewindtold reblogged this from drparisa
- shankyourjory likes this
- shadowsareinfinite reblogged this from themetalhead
- zimrathon likes this
- suddenly-a-wild-fangirl likes this
- warden-commander likes this