— Lower third of the blade towards the hilt. Term is Italian, meaning “strong.”
— Blade shoulder segment closest to the hilt, an area which remained unsharpened to allow the wielder to grasp the blade with a finger for added leverage. In larger medieval swords this area could be long enough for an entire hand to grasp the sword’s shaft. Makers’ marks were often inscribed in this area.
— Center third of the blade. “Third” in Italian.
— Ending third of blade at the point. Term means “weak” in Italian.
— A groove or trough in the center of the blade shaft extending from the hilt down through part or the entirety of the blade. The fuller was employed to lighten the blade and also to add strength and resiliency in much the way an H-girder performs. Makers’ marks ofa medieval sword could be found in this area as well as decorative incised designs.
— Also referred to more simply as the “guard” or the “cross.”
— Center of the cross-guard.
— Extended arms of the cross-guard. In a simple, functional cross-guard the quillons might extend straight out from the block. In other designs the quillons might curve towards the hand, or they might curve towards the blade to protect the ricasso (see above) and provide a “blade-trap” for the opponent’s weapon. Sets of quillons could curve in both directions on the same sword. In the basket style hilt several quillonsare “woven” to protect the entire hand.
— Portion of the blade shaft that extends into the hilt under the grip. It is fastenedto the pommel (see below).
— Handle portion of the medieval sword. The tang could be covered with leather, bone, horn, ivory, wound wire, or shagreen (untanned leather embedded with seeds or stones creating a granular suface) for a secure grip.
— The ending piece of the hilt, this component appeared in various shapes or sizes, but it served to counterbalance the weight of the blade, support the hand, and fasten the tang of the blade securely into the hilt.
556 Notes/ Hide
- dionysian-parade likes this
- hominidwatching likes this
- acornwitch reblogged this from where-the-old-gods-sleep
- earthisalie reblogged this from elgarain
- elgarain reblogged this from where-the-old-gods-sleep
- kyra-pond-holmes reblogged this from mediumaevum
- soloquiero-jugar reblogged this from where-the-old-gods-sleep
- monkeymacapples likes this
- fadoodly reblogged this from madnessathand
- navimre likes this
- furiousjessy likes this
- akemiiwasaki reblogged this from where-the-old-gods-sleep
- akemiiwasaki likes this
- madnessathand reblogged this from where-the-old-gods-sleep
- lokeanconcubine likes this
- argyraspide reblogged this from where-the-old-gods-sleep
- cydwarf reblogged this from where-the-old-gods-sleep
- cydwarf likes this
- evil-of-eden likes this
- where-the-old-gods-sleep likes this
- where-the-old-gods-sleep reblogged this from effervescentaardvark
- nhaneh likes this
- heavenswalker likes this
- biotic-slytherin reblogged this from cdrlizziebean
- samscitystate likes this
- cdrlizziebean reblogged this from jadedrogue3
- toradh likes this
- tokidokifish likes this
- schwarzbrot likes this
- aquaeprompa likes this
- hosith reblogged this from kelila
- shredsandpatches likes this
- sigmastolen reblogged this from parmandil
- palena likes this
- benruhe likes this
- arcanelibrarian reblogged this from shaded-mazoku
- arcanelibrarian likes this
- thecrow777 likes this
- dead-passions reblogged this from nokispirations
- dead-passions likes this
- kiapurity likes this
- jadedrogue3 reblogged this from sheepishwolfy
- jadedrogue3 likes this
- everlastingwind reblogged this from sheepishwolfy
- silentinsilver likes this
- kelila reblogged this from sheepishwolfy
- kakashivillafuerte reblogged this from dandelionofthanatos
- sheepishwolfy reblogged this from dandelionofthanatos
- dandelionofthanatos reblogged this from nokispirations
- kitsuberry likes this