These gloves were made in the early 13th century for the coronation of Emperor Frederick II. As with many of the other sumptuous garments that make up the Insignia of the Holy Roman Empire, the gloves were made in the Royal Workshops of Sicily. These gloves were worn by the Emperor at his coronation in 1220.
Materials included red silk, gold wire embroidery, pearls, saphires, rubies, enamelled plaques. The palms of the gloves are worked in the design of single-headed eagle, using gold thread, underside couching.